Re: JIT stealth font-lock tuning parameters

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: JIT stealth font-lock tuning parameters
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:27:02 -0700 (MST)

    You are much less likely to sit at the keyboard for 16 seconds than for
    3.  When stealth font-lock kicks in, and you press a key, it doesn't
    react (by stopping fontification) until it finishes processing the
    current chunk.

Perhaps Emacs should take advantage of the shorter rest periods that
come in the midst of actual work.

How long does a chunk typically take?

Anyway, I am not going to try to decide these questions.
I don't know what is best, but I want to make sure people
look at certain of the issues.

Perhaps we should take a poll to find out what the users
prefer for these parameters.

In the poll, we should ask the users to explain the reasons for their
preferences.  This way we might identify different usage patterns, and
then we might be able to think up a feature that makes it easier
to satisfy more of the users than any currently possible setting will do.