Re: Please help developing Emacs

From: Kevin A. Burton
Subject: Re: Please help developing Emacs
Date: 12 Nov 2001 08:53:36 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11 Nov 2001, Kevin A. Burton wrote:
>
> > Hm.  Why was this restricted to the emacs-devel mailing list?
>
> Because it was meant for the people who subscribe to emacs-devel, people who
> have interest in Emacs development.
>
> > Kind of like preaching to the converted.
>
> I don't think so.  My message was written because I've seen too many requests
> to work on something which remained without response.

True.  I am also at fault here... but then again I am *really* swamped right
now (of course that is not excuse) :)

> > Since this is a policy change, why not post this to usenet?
>
> I don't think it's a policy change; help of the kind I described was always
> welcome.

- From a development model perspective, it is a big change IMHO.

- - We now have a public CVS.  For CVS fans this is a BIG win!

- - We now have a public -devel mailing list.

I think that this makes emacs more approachable for people who are familar with
an Open Source/Distributed Development Model.

> > http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html
> >
> > but there really isn't much there.  I think we could do better! :)
>
> Please suggest what to improve; patches to that page are greatly appreciated.

Hm.... I will work on something.

Could we put the website in the Emacs CVS?

> See also http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs
>
> However, please note that advertizing the project, while an important goal, is
> not something I had in mind when I wrote my message.

Sure.  I understand.  But maybe there should be an official announcement.

Kevin

- --
Kevin A. Burton ( address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden )
        Jabber - address@hidden,  Web - http://relativity.yi.org/

Microsoft VBScript compilation  error '800a03e9'

Out of memory

?