Re: Please help developing Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Please help developing Emacs
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:50:22 -0700 (MST)

    Hm.  Why was this restricted to the emacs-devel mailing list?  Kind of like
    preaching to the converted.

emacs-devel includes mostly people who already know more than a little
about Emacs.  If we post on a bigger list, it would include many
inexperienced people; if they want to help, they could very easily
just take up time and not provide any help.  Asking them might be
worth doing, but we'd have to figure out a way to do it that guides
people into things that are actually useful.

    Also.  I think we should make the project more approachable, similar to the
way
    gcc.gnu.org handles it.

What specifically do you have in mind?

    Why not have an emacs.gnu.org website?

We want the web site for *every* GNU program to be on www.gnu.org;
every time people think some other location is "the site" for a GNU
program, that causes various headaches for us.  So our policy is that
the site for FOO should be www.gnu.org/software/FOO.

    There is this:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html

    but there really isn't much there.  I think we could do better! :)

I agree completely.  We don't want to change the location, but it
would be very good to improve the contents.  Would you like to work on
adding more info to the pages?