Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: [emacs-bidi]status? news?

From: Roozbeh Pournader
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: [emacs-bidi]status? news?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:52:18 +0330 (IRT)

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Btw, do you plan to do anything in Fribidi to solve some of the
> nonsensical results cited in UTR9?  For example, this result is dead
> wrong (the exclam should be on the right edge of the L2R text):
>
>  HE SAID "it is a car!" AND RAN  =>  NAR DNA "!it is a car" DIAS EH

I don't get what you mean by "should be". Is the first sequence the
sequence of keys the user presses on the keyboard or the sequence of
bytes that was stored in the file?

Currently, fribidi only cares about displaying issues, and some
selection, etc. Currently, you can compute embedding levels with it, or
ask it to the transform the string into visual order (together with some
tools to simplify the usage). Incremental editing behaviour, and other
things need more thought.

> Also, it looks like Fribidi doesn't yet support explicit embedding
> directives?

This will be first next improvement. We're working on it, and in the
process, we even found a bug in UTR9 which the Unicode Consortium
promised to fix it in the next version. We're testing it against the
Unicode reference implementation, and the code will be in CVS in two or
three days.

--roozbeh