[emacs-bidi] Re: [emacs-bidi]status? news?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: [emacs-bidi] Re: [emacs-bidi]status? news?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:40:15 +0200 (IST)

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

> I also want to mention that now, an LGPL-ed library for bidi is available
> now, which was not the case when we were in the deep discussion here. It's
> Fribidi (http://fribidi.sourceforge.net/), and I and a colleague are
> working to add explicit bidi support to it. It will be the first
> GPL-compatible Unicode-conformant implementation.

Thanks for the pointer.

Unfortunately, the implementations of the Unicode bidi algorithm known
to me (that includes Fribidi) need lots of changes to become part of
the Emacs display engine, because the latter examines characters one
by one, not in batches or lines.

Resolving this contradiction is the main issue I'm trying to work on
lately.  If someone has suggestions or pointers to solutions of
similar problems, I'd be grateful.

Btw, do you plan to do anything in Fribidi to solve some of the
nonsensical results cited in UTR9?  For example, this result is dead
wrong (the exclam should be on the right edge of the L2R text):

 HE SAID "it is a car!" AND RAN  =>  NAR DNA "!it is a car" DIAS EH

Also, it looks like Fribidi doesn't yet support explicit embedding
directives?