edu-eu

Re: [edu-eu] Talking points for FLOS Software at universities

From: Guido Arnold
Subject: Re: [edu-eu] Talking points for FLOS Software at universities
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 23:56:36 +0200

Hello Thomas,

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 11:25:12PM +0200, Thomas Thym wrote:

> yesterday I was invited to a panel discussion at the University
> Basel, Switzerland (representing the business world and open source
> communities). After the discussion I was asked by a research
> assistant if I know some good arguments to convince her professor to
> support open source software instead of propreterian. I searched the
> web and found some points. Do you know a good link to a good source
> or perhaps a scientific paper?

> P.S.: The arguments I found so far:
>
> * Open source software was born at universities.
> * For the world wide scientific community it is more efficient to work
> together on software instead of each buying software by (perhaps different)
> companies reinventing the wheel.
> * Power to modify and extend the software to the specific needs.
> * Encourages the international cooperation between different universities
> using and supporting the same free software.

I don't have much time to look into it and probably won't get to it
within the next two weeks, but I wanted to add to your list:

 * principle of (scientific) peer review

Besides that, you might want to bend some of the arguments for
schools and translate them for universities:
https://wiki.fsfe.org/Reasons_for_schools_to_use_Free_Software

Or maybe you can find something useful in our link collection:
https://wiki.fsfe.org/Education/FS_usage_Link_collection

Please keep us posted, I'd love to see a wiki page for universities
with all arguments we'll find.

Greetings and good luck with convincing the professor! :)

Guido

--
Guido Arnold                       Free Software Foundation Europe
http://blogs.fsfe.org/guido      []         Edu team & German team