edu-eu

[edu-eu] Talking points for FLOS Software at universities

From: Thomas Thym
Subject: [edu-eu] Talking points for FLOS Software at universities
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 23:25:12 +0200

Hi everyone,

yesterday I was invited to a panel discussion at the University Basel,
Switzerland (representing the business world and open source communities).
After the discussion I was asked by a research assistant if I know some good
arguments to convince her professor to support open source software instead of
propreterian. I searched the web and found some points. Do you know a good link
to a good source or perhaps a scientific paper?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Thomas

P.S.: The arguments I found so far:

* Open source software was born at universities.
* For the world wide scientific community it is more efficient to work together
on software instead of each buying software by (perhaps different) companies
reinventing the wheel.
* Power to modify and extend the software to the specific needs.
* Encourages the international cooperation between different universities using
and supporting the same free software.
* ...