Re: [Duplicity-talk] remove-all-but-n-full needs --force?

From: Andrew Kohlsmith (lists)
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] remove-all-but-n-full needs --force?
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:31:15 -0500

On December 11, 2008 10:11:32 am Kenneth Loafman wrote:
> All the distros seem to alias rm that way.  Given the number of ex
> Windows users that seem to be converting, I would not say anyone was a
> child, just a new user.  If you know enough to use root, you should know
> how the change the alias to your liking.

Hmm, Slackware, Debian and Kubuntu don't seem to, unless I somehow managed to
change that when installing.  :-)

Maybe I'm just grumpy this morning.  remove-if-older-than *says* remove.
Forced confirmation on everything doesn't really improve safety, since people
just start remembering to use --force all the time anyway.

Just my humble opinion.

> A lot of the decisions we have to make on functionality have to be
> traded off against historical use.  If a user were to be upgraded via
> the automatic update function of his distro, we really don't want to
> have any surprises that would delete backups.

But when you're scripting it, you will have it in there anyway.. not much
safety is gained by using --force, if any.

-A.