Re: [Duplicity-talk] remove-all-but-n-full needs --force?

From: Jon
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] remove-all-but-n-full needs --force?
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:10:53 -0400

Hi

Andrew Kohlsmith (lists) wrote:
Good morning,

I just noticed that my full backups for the last 6 months aren't getting deleted, because apparently the remove-all-but-n-full needs the --force option.

--force is usually reserved for "you WILL shoot yourself in the foot if I allow you to do this" type of operations... is it really necessary to have a "Are you sure [y/N]?" option for this operation?

I stumbled across the same thing a few months ago and had the same question. I agree that it seems odd to have to use a --force flag to delete old backup sets. Having to do so carries the implication that the user is doing something dangerous or wrong and that's generally not the case with routine stale archive removal.

Jon