Re: [Duplicity-talk] remove-all-but-n-full needs --force?

From: Andrew Kohlsmith (lists)
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] remove-all-but-n-full needs --force?
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:49:19 -0500

On December 11, 2008 09:30:28 am address@hidden wrote:
> Actually deleting is a serious action and should require an explicit
> 'yes' somewhere.
> I think the general double function (to list only or also to delete) of
> remove-... commands is the real problem here.
>
> 2 solutions possible:
> a) separate the command in two - remove vs. list
> b) document the need to use the --force option (better)
>
> I like b) because it keeps duplicity straight forward  and I doublechecked
> http://duplicity.nongnu.org/duplicity.1.html
> where I couldn't find explicit notes on the need of --force for remove &
> cleanup actions. These should be added. Also in the overview at the top

I like the a) option.

remove-all-but-n-full 1 should remove.

Or, alternatively, and I still don't like this

remove-all-but-n-full 1 should list by default and --remove to actually
remove.

Duplicity should not treat its users as if they were children.  This is like
the Redhat idiocy that forces confirmation of rm when you're root.

-A.