[Duplicity-talk] Deleting large files from archive?

From: David Schneider-Joseph
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Deleting large files from archive?
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 14:26:55 -0400

Hi all,

I don't see an obvious solution to this problem -- was wondering if you guys did.

Suppose I have a 1 GB file, and it gets backed up, then I delete it locally. Obviously, its snapshot is still taking up space on the destination side. Suppose I decide I will absolutely never want this file, and want to free the space that the backup for this one file will take up? Is there a way to do this while also preserving the remainder of the incremental snapshots?

Presumably this is technically feasible, as the --remove-older-than option manages to selectively delete only those files that are no longer referenced, but it seems that duplicity does not currently support this. How would I go about doing this with the underlying rdiff tools?

Thanks,
David