Re: [Duplicity-talk] Deleting large files from archive?

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Deleting large files from archive?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 09:44:09 -0500

David Schneider-Joseph wrote:
To follow up: I consider this to be a major missing feature. There's absolutely nothing to be done, and no future course for development? If you could point me in the right direction I'd be willing to work on a patch myself.

The problem is that to modify a file on the remote system requires that you download that file locally, modify it, then send it back. Since this is a multi-file tar archive, you would need to download the entire archive, decrypt, uncompress, delete the file, compress, encrypt, then upload the modified archive, making sure to delete the unused portions.

The remote system is *just* storage. It has no processing capabilities w.r.t. the archive itself.