Re: Bugs in gui/back

From: Josh Freeman
Subject: Re: Bugs in gui/back
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 19:26:14 -0400

On Apr 25, 2018, at 6:30 PM, Josh Freeman wrote:

For GNUstep GUI-app development, I'd suggest MATE as the desktop environment, and the easiest way to get it is a distro where MATE's the built-in default: Ubuntu MATE (17.10 or 18.04), or Linux MATE.

   Linux MATE -> Linux Mint MATE

Most desktop environments have at least some minor UI issues with GNUstep GUI apps (avoid Unity/Compiz), but MATE seems to be the most compatible - no issues as far as I've seen [1].

For clarification: The UI issues are due to the window manager, not the desktop environment. Most DEs are tied to a specific WM, and since DE names are more widely-known than WM names, it was simpler to refer to the former.

However, MATE is one of the DEs that allows you to switch to a different WM. For GNUstep-GUI compatibility, this is not recommended - what works well with GNUstep is MATE's built-in WM: Marco.

Cheers,

Josh