Re: Bugs in gui/back

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: Bugs in gui/back
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 18:53:55 +0200

Hi Liam,

I actually don't know. This is a preinstalled Ubuntu system. It has a
vertical doc on the left side of the screen. How do I figure this out?

If you can tell me what exact version of Ubuntu you are running, and
what desktop, I can tell you what the WM is.

E.g. if the version is 16.04 (the current long-term support version),
then the default desktop is Unity and the WM is Compiz.

I run 16.04, so I guess that will be it. Any idea how to be sure (command to test this)?

May be I should try to get WindowMaker to run on this box and see whether this makes a difference!?

If it is the latest released version, 17.10, then the default desktop
is GNOME 3 (with Ubuntu customisations) and the window manager is
Clutter, but this is inexact as it is not running X.11 but Wayland and
there is no traditional WM.

If you are running a beta of 18.04, the forthcoming LTS version, then
again, it's GNOME 3 and Clutter under Wayland.

Woahhj!!

Thanks,

 Andreas