Re: Totally Gormless

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Totally Gormless
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 23:54:42 +0100 (BST)

> Actually, the problem now is that GNUstep.conf is located in a
> platform-dependant place, which is determined in the configuration of
> gnustep-base (typically it's in /etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf). So
> user_home might have a hard time finding it. At one point I had a
> really good reason for having the configuration in base, but I'm not
> so sure I remember now. gnustep-base certainly needs to know it
> though.

I wouldn't mind having it set in gnustep-make -- gnustep-base can then use
exactly the same config ... reading it from gnustep-make.  That would mean
gnustep-make and gnustep-base have the same knowledge of where it is ;-)

<thinking of quite a few complications>

I suppose I really ought to have a look. :-)

> The other alternative is to put user_home in gnustep-base -
> that makes the synchronization of path finding between user_home and
> gnustep-base easier. user_home isn't really needed anymore, except by
> developers, anyway. Still gnustep-make would be somehow incomplete...

Yes - I'm not sure how you would use gnustep-make on Apple
(apple-apple-apple) if user_home was missing ... I'm sure most things
would work, but well, it'd still be needed to get the complete feature
set. ;-)

> P.S. I have an example GNUstep.conf in gnustep-make, but it has spaces
> in it so won't work with sh.  I guess we could require that there are
> no spaces though.

Yes ... I'd like to avoid spaces -- even if we don't use it now, it's a
good idea to keep the option open. :-)

Thanks