Re: Totally Gormless

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Totally Gormless
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 20:41:37 +0100 (BST)

> > What about if we then had
> > cd core/make
> > ../configure CFLAGS=xxx
> > make CFLAGS=yyy
> > where 'xxx' would then be used whenever compiling anything using
> > gnustep-make, and 'yyy' would be used when compiling the few C tools
> > in gnustep-make itself.
> > Would that be more helpful ?
>
> I suppose the problem is more of the de-facto policy that specifying
> OPTFLAG in that location causes.  [...]

But would that work for you or not ? :-)

Better suggestions for the variable names maybe ?

Other suggestions ?

If the current options are not friendly for you, we can add new ones --,
please suggest! -- we can't break backwards compatibility though --
meaning we need to keep the existing behaviour of ./configure CFLAGS=xxx,
also given I have a vague recollection/memory of people using it and we
should be very careful about breaking their scripts/habits.

> [...] But when I say:
> # CFLAGS="-O1 -g" make all
> I expect the only optimizations to be "-O1 -g".

Well currently to get that effect you just need to do --

CFLAGS="-O1 -g" make all OPTFLAG=

that will remove the OPTFLAG that have been configured in when
gnustep-make was configured, and only use your own manually specified
CFLAGS. :-)

The rest of the email is totally unrelated to this, so I'll answer it
separately.

Thanks