Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help
Date: 09 Feb 2005 09:47:28 GMT

First of all, there seems to be an outbreak of "I can't find the
delete key" among many authors. Please delete excess quoted
material! (Not Jesse in particular, but I don't want to send a mail
just for that point.)

<jesse@jesseross.com> wrote:
> I totally agree -- the look of the widgets and dock is very dated, and
> they all feel very "large". I think this is one of the things that the
> design team needs to determine specs for and then work on implementing a
> default modern look.

The isometric look is easy to identify and the large controls
helps a lot of people who don't have perfect motor control
or eyesight. I think that's "Fitts law" at work. If anyone
makes the controls smaller, then a lot of people with poor
motor control will come hunting. We may not be able to click
a 2-pixel width reliably, but we can flail!

That said, there is scope for improvement in some of the icons
(maybe many). Is a competition is worth the overhead of running
it? We're not awash with icon art yet.

It's probably as good to make a list of applications and offer
the developers new icons if needed, keeping track of the ones
offered and accepted so far. If any developer has many icons to
choose from, they can ask around. I *hope* that the developers
like the UI guidelines and appreciate the feel of GNUstep. So
far, it seems that most do. If not, we probably need to explain
and refine them, in preference to imposing.

Just some thoughts. I'll go join -ui now that I know about it.