Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:00:49 +0000

On 11 Feb 2005, at 14:37, Riccardo wrote:

Hmm,

On Tuesday, February 8, 2005, at 08:09 PM, <jesse@jesseross.com> wrote:

I totally agree -- the look of the widgets and dock is very dated, and
they all feel very "large". I think this is one of the things that the
design team needs to determine specs for and then work on implementing a
default modern look.

I must disagree. When I design side-to-side Aqua and GNUstep, gnustep's controls are very compact. The compare favorably also to Motif most of the time. I get the feeling they are quite compact indeed, compare them to gtk-crap. Tabs are compact for example, while most of others implementations are wide. Also the buttons and the text controls are very compact... and that is the most of it.

I suspect the GNUstep/NeXTstep controls *look* large because they are clear and easy to see/use. It's good thing IMO.

I also like the sort of large photo-realistic icons that NeXT (afaik) introduced and MacOS-X has (mostly) adopted. Tiny icons are far too often unrecognisable.