Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 19:00:21 +0000

On 2005-02-08 18:07:13 +0000 jesse@jesseross.com wrote:

I'd love to be involved as a main artist on the project. I don't have a
completely open schedule, but I'm slowly phasing out freelance work to
make room for stuff that I actually _want_ to be involved in, like
GNUstep.

If there are other artists who are involved in the project, I'd love to
get a hold of them and work on a cohesive set of icons and interface
elements. As important as themeing is for expressing individuality, having
a strong default GUI with a group of accompanying stock icons can only
help the project attract new users and present the image of sophistication
and polish.

Yes, I agree, the best thing would be to cooperate !
Jasper seems to be busy at the moment :-/ -- I sent him a mail sunday, waiting for news.. Sebastien Pierre also volunteered to work on the graphic side, so we should try to
find a way to work all together :-)

Just as a test... I replaced the default icons:

<screenshot_jesse_icons.png>
Doesn't look bad, eh ? :-)

Also, apart from icons, is there a direction for the default GUI
interface? I saw some of the theming that will be/is available through
Camaelon -- has there been a clear consensus on keeping certain NEXTSTEP
elements or moving to a more Mac look (ie: horizontal menubar versus
vertical floating bar, scrollbar on left/right)? Any feedback on that
would be helpful for redesiging the default GUI.

Well, the consus needs to be build, but I believe lots of people like the vertical menu... although the "mac menu" style is nice when you don't have high resolution... Scrollbars will likely stay where they are, but of course, as the menu style, that easily
modifiable via a gui bundle.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Roard