Re: GNUstep and GTK+

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: GNUstep and GTK+
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 03:40:31 +0700

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 22:00:46 -0600, Adam Fedor <fedor@doc.com> wrote:
> RMS has asked it is possible for GNUstep to have GTK+ bindings. Note
> this is not using GTK with GNUstep, but would allow someone to compile
> an application based on GTK with GNUstep - where GNUstep would
> interpret the GTK calls and instead create GNUstep objects (windows,
> etc).
>
> This would be interesting as it could potentially open up a whole set
> of Linux apps to run on GNUstep. THe downside is it would probably be a
> lot of effort. I don't have time, so could someone volunteer to look at
> whether this might be feasible or not?

Please correct me if I made wrong assumptions here. I believe it is possible
but may not be feasible since they are GObject which has very similar nature
with ObjC's Object except the lacking of dynamic binding. This also means
that we can't just resolve their methods' addresses by some strings at runtime.
So we probably have to redo all their classes manually.