Re: GNUstep and GTK+

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: GNUstep and GTK+
Date: 06 Aug 2004 07:59:02 +0200

Andrew Pinski <pinskia@physics.uc.edu> writes:

> On Aug 5, 2004, at 9:00 PM, Adam Fedor wrote:
>
> > RMS has asked it is possible for GNUstep to have GTK+ bindings. Note
> > this is not using GTK with GNUstep, but would allow someone to
> > compile an application based on GTK with GNUstep - where GNUstep
> > would interpret the GTK calls and instead create GNUstep objects
> > (windows, etc).
> >
> > This would be interesting as it could potentially open up a whole
> > set of Linux apps to run on GNUstep. THe downside is it would
> > probably be a lot of effort. I don't have time, so could someone
> > volunteer to look at whether this might be feasible or not?
>
> I thought I had saw an effect for Mac OS X for the same thing for
> Cocoa but I could be wrong.
>

> http://gtk-quartz.sourceforge.net/
>
> Maybe leveraging this will help get this off the ground.

Have a look at:  http://gtk-quartz.sourceforge.net/developers/
they don't plan to build gtk-quartz on cocoa, but on quartz.
That means that they're on the side of cocoa, concurent to cocoa/gnustep.

gtk/OpenStep would be an entirely different project.

Nobody can fix the economy.  Nobody can be trusted with their finger
on the button.  Nobody's perfect.  VOTE FOR NOBODY.