Re: GNUstep and GTK+

From: Robert Burns
Subject: Re: GNUstep and GTK+
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:56:30 -0500

Martin Häcker wrote:

RMS has asked it is possible for GNUstep to have GTK+ bindings. Note this is not using GTK with GNUstep, but would allow someone to compile an application based on GTK with GNUstep - where GNUstep would interpret the GTK calls and instead create GNUstep objects (windows, etc).

Just out of curiosity:

I know that there currently is a great deal of a debate among the Gnome Community that they want to switch to a memory managed language, cause "C is just too unproductive". Till now the only languages that where considered for this effort are Java (RedHat) and C# (Novel)

Please don't let that be true... better C than that crap.

Well... do I have to see this inquiry from RMS as a try to get a third language into this potpourri?

Well, Objective-C technically isn't a memory-managed language. Perhaps I'm wrong about that, though. Still, it's a vast improvement over C.

But as you mention in your postscript, there's always the possibility that a GC like the Boehm-Demers-Weiser GC could be used. That would certainly take care of that particular issue.

p.s.: From a technical standpoint this would do:
- Real Objects
- Real Proven and OpenSource Compiler (GCC)
- No Patents that People are aware of
- Compatible with the Old-C (and even C++) Code-Base with a minimal hassle
- Memory Management with the DehmerWeiser-Conservative GarbageCollector
- Already several trys to marry the languages:

There's no question that Objective-C is perfect for GTK (or any toolkit, for that matter), especially if a GC is used. However, there are bound to be political issues aplenty if a move like this is made. Also, developers would have to get over the syntax of Objective-C. I see so many people that have looked at 20 lines of Objective-C code, and draw from that brief glance the conclusion that Objective-C is, according to one person, "a heinous mix of C and Smalltalk", when in fact it is actually a small, elegant, intuitive, and logical extension to C.

Robert Burns