Re: Longhorn Killer

From: Rogelio Serrano
Subject: Re: Longhorn Killer
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 06:38:11 -0800 (PST)

--- Helge Hess <helge.hess@opengroupware.org> wrote:
On Mar 22, 2004, at 1:08 PM, Rogelio Serrano wrote:
>> Check KDE or Gnome for world domination.
> I already did. Good progress. But I think only GNUstep has the feature
> set to go further. Compare the Mac against XP.

If you already know about that, I don't get your point, you asked:
> What will it take for a GNUstep based Linux desktop to kill
> Longhorn?

If you already did an analysis of KDE+GNOME, and know about the feature
set of GNUstep, why don't you explain what you think is missing to make
GNUstep compete?

[snip]

Foremost on my mind is a "winfs" done right. Call it "LinFS" if you like. That
means a storage system that does not use sql. I have been trying out domino
notes lately and i think it would be cool to use the notes data model for a
desktop storage system. Of course search would be very much a part of the
desktop right? I have also been thinking hard about smtp and spam and security
lately so maybe a pgp distribution system with a ui like notes would also be a
good idea. make it easy for people to make pgp certificates and distribute
it.Im trying out the idea right now. I was writing code to implement some kind
of nsf and forms and views. I was going smoothly until i read a paper about
main memory databases and now im kind of stuck trying to implement that.
Another is cairo and X Windows done right. I like Keith Packard's idea. I want
to try xcb with gnustep back. I dont know how much work is needed there though.
I stopped working on Y when i went to the freedesktop.org website and really
read almost evrything in there. I think this is true for all linux desktops.
Another is an installer system. Im sure you can add more.

Well I admit you make me made stop, look and think very hard.

I asked that question because i thought somebody already has an answer. I might
have a wish list but im not an expert in GNUstep. I just wanted to start
testing as soon as possible.

I have not done any deep analysis of KDE+GNOME at all. I have used it and its
nice actually. Gnome and KDE have gone a long way since but i have never really
been able to go over the learning curve to actually build programs that I want.
I just dont like the complexity of these environments.

I came to like GNUstep after i read the ProjectCenter tutorial. The environment
seems less complex to me.  Maybe because its incomplete but i felt that a lot
of nice applications could be written in a short period of time with the
current state of ProjectCenter and GORM.

Its all about going beyond unix.