Re: [Denemo-devel] Tooltips - what am I doing wrong?

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Tooltips - what am I doing wrong?
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 14:31:12 +0100

I do not feel like getting involved in Gnome3 debates. I'm running the
Gnome2 based Mate desktop, and with reason.

Some remarks/observations, wrt. Gnome and wrt. Denemo.

If you create a toolkit that is intensively used by numerous tools, you
bear a certain responsibility to the developers of these tools. You can't
just do as you please. Satisfying even 95% is not enough.

If there are good reasons to deprecate tear-off menus and timed tooltips,
then I expect a decent transition period (which Gnome3 has had, given that
the deprecation started in 2012 or so) and guidelines for a good
alternative. As I understand, there's currently no alternative to tear-off
menus and timed tooltips. When software developers have spent numerous
hours on a UI, it's not really helpful to state that the UI needs
redesign.

In the good old days there was a "Help" key (later the F1 key was used for
this) on the keyboard that requested a help text for whatever object the
cursur was on. In Denemo, F1 just calls the (start of the) manual in the
browser.

In any case there need to be a (global but application overridable) setting
to control the initial delay before a tooltip pops up. The fact that
subsequent tooltips pop up immedeately is a bug. Period.

Denemo is overpopulated with tooltips. Everything (except for the main
canvas) has tooltips. So there's almost no place where the tooltips (and
the user) can come to rest.

I'd suggest to drop the "This is the menu bar" and "This is the
tool bar" (and so on) tooltips. Also, the tooltips on the textual
objects. A tooltip "Adding deleting navigating measures" is not really
helpful on a menu item "Measures". "Menu named Booktitles located at
/ObjectMenu/Score/Titles/BookTitles" is definitely not helpful.

-- Johan