Re: [Denemo-devel] printing margins, and miscellania

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] printing margins, and miscellania
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:28:27 +0100

On Thu, 2013-09-12 at 06:51 -0400, Bric wrote:

> > On September 12, 2013 at 3:32 AM Richard Shann <address@hidden>
> > wrote:

> > > Something is broken then, I can guess what.
> >
> > Well, actually it was a stray ; in the script ...
> > fixed in git now.
> >

> Applied the fix.  True on my end, too ;-))  Thanks!
>
> New quests:
>
> (These are probably "RTFM" questions... sorry)
>
> (1) I can't find how to reposition text bits ("titles"), in the layout.  Such
> as
> "Arranged by... " — that's right-justified, by default; how do you
> left-justify
> it, for instance, and the other text bits?

There are two titling systems provided in Denemo, both are just examples
of what can be done with LilyPond. But there is no general-purpose
editor to allow you to drag titles around; I think it might be possible
to write one. This is where the trade-off between drawing-based programs
(like Finale, Sibelius, MuseScore) and Music Typesetter-based programs
becomes apparent. It is (fairly) easy to create a standardized layout
with LilyPond but for complete drawing freedom you need a drawing
program. (So, you could get LilyPond to generate .svg and use Inkscape,
and I know of people who generate .pdf and use pdf editors to arrange
stuff like verses at the end of hymns - the alternative is to ask the
ever-helpful LilyPond user list and insert the relevant Lilypond text
into a custom score layout in Denemo's LilyPond window).

> (2) Can't find special commands for things like "Adagio" at the beginning of a
> movement

It may be useful to enter something in every title field that Denemo
offers and see if one would suit. There are a few more title fields that
LilyPond provides which you could wire in to Denemo. In the case of
"Adagio" at the beginning (as a title) you could look at the one
LilyPond calls "piece", I think Denemo calls it Movement->Simple
Titles->Piece
But perhaps all you really need is to attach a tempo mark to the first
note and then drag that in the final typeset view if you don't like the
positioning. (There is a command to put text that you can make
bold/italic/whatever and position by dragging but I can't find it just
now).

> (You can tell me to read the FINE
???

>  manual, of course... please point out where
> that documentation is)

I expect you have seen the manual (an ageing hotch-potch) and the
videos, after that it is down to reading the scripts of commands (they
are written in scheme). And asking :)