[Denemo-devel] printing margins, and miscellania

From: Bric
Subject: [Denemo-devel] printing margins, and miscellania
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 10:06:55 -0400 (EDT)

When I export to lilypond, then convert lilypond to PDF, the resulting pages
have a bad top margin... such that the title, or whatever is at the very top, is
cut off - about half inch, at leat.

This happened in 0.9.3 (previously I misspoke saying I was clinging to 0.9.6 — i
have that but 0.9.3 is my oldest working version)

So, I just tried to export and convert in the latest git I just compiled -- same
margin cut-offs.

Is the only solution doing direct lilypond tweaking of spacing and margins?

_______________________

* similarly, about cautionary and reminder accidentals — lilypond allows one to
add parentheses with the cautionary accidentals. Not Denemo?  IOW: no
parentheses unless I tweak the lilypond code?  (I'm not complaining, btw, just
asking... lilypond is a fiend (in the good sense), and to interface to all of
its functions with a GUI would probably be impossible/needless(?) )

* there doesn't seem to be any "piano"/"pianissimo" listed in 0.9.3, under
           Notes/Rests → Markings → Text Symbol → Dynamic Markings

and I couldn't find "Dynamic Markings" in 1.0.9 at all.

* when I added mezzopiano, the symbol, looked like a png rather than a
(scalable) svg (relatively bad-looking)

* removing arbitrary text ?? I couldn't find a way to remove "arbitrary text"
insertions.

* lilypond error: I inserted an empty staff, while working in 0.9.3, (because my
top staff was being cut off in the window — couldn't see high slurs, etc.), and
declared the empty staff non-printing.  This didn't cause any problems with
0.9.3, but when imported into the latest, 1.0.9, denemo generated a lilypond
file that threw an error in lilypond conversion to pdf (couldn't handle the
empty staff), until i removed the staff.  Not sure if that's lilypond's fault,
or denemo's, or no one's ;-)  just something lost in translation (conversion).
My lilypond versions, by the way, are 2.16.1 and 2.17.7

* I'm sure version 1.0.9 has lots of improvements, and exciting new features,
but it's not an instant, intuitive re-adjustment.  The red and blue clickable
zones to increment/decrement sharps/flats is cool. Is there a practical value
for the cursor zoom animation? Seems like it would hog some resources, without
really facilitating anything (I could be wrong, obviously)

* In Command Manager, I wish there was a way to sort, and search(!) the command
list. And to isolate all commands that have been assigned a key combo, and stuff
like that.  Maybe even generate a printable list, sortable any which way.

* To help with forum discussions like this one, where menu items are discussed,
it would help to have a menu path/trail quick copy command... such that, if I've
drilled down to some menu item, let's say, four levels deep, I issue the
command, and — voilà — into my buffer is copied the menu path.

         E.g., Notes/Rests → Markings → Text Symbol → Dynamic Markings

Of course, this idea is cosmicly broad, and isn't confined to just denemo

I'll stop here, and post .... might have more miscellania later.