Re: [Denemo-devel] feature request

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] feature request
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 19:14:41 +0100

On Sat, 2013-09-07 at 13:12 -0400, Bric wrote:

> > On September 7, 2013 at 12:06 PM Richard Shann <address@hidden>
> > wrote:
> >
> <snip>
>
> > > I haven't tried denemo with MIDI input yet; sounds like you are suggesting
> > > it's
> > > definitely worth a try.  I just figured i'd still need to switch between
> > > computer and music keyboards, often enough to diminish the advantage of
> > > "real
> > > playing"
> > for editing and fiddling about with a piece, yes. But for sheer speed
> > entering music nothing can beat it if you are a fluent music reader
> >

> Wait.  Which is which?  You said "yes" to the /musical/ keyboard providing
> better speed or to the computer keyboard being faster?

the musical keyboard. I am thinking of the case where you are entering
rhythm and pitches separately.
 https://vimeo.com/61994482
 and
 https://vimeo.com/62188678

Will give the idea.
I think some folk use one hand on the numeric keypad to do the rhythm
while the other is on the MIDI keyboard doing the pitches. But Denemo
has the advantage over Finale et al that you can enter more of the
rhythm in one go - when you start playing in pitches the cursor backs up
and puts them over the rhythm.

> The computer keyboard is faster if you are a fluent music reader?
>
> (sorry... wanted disambiguation because I'm very into denemo's power and
> speed,
> and would like to optimize it)

> > > I have one; yes, very cheap (got mine for under $10, IIRC)  You do mean
> > > just
> > > the
> > > midi-usb interface, right? (not including keyboard)
> >
> > Including keyboard - small ones I see at that sort of price. Mine is an
> > M-Audio Keystation 49e which has a few more keys. I keep it plugged
> > permanently in as I don't do anything else with it. It has no controls
> > needing setting up - just open Denemo enter the rhythm and play in the
> > pitches. Have you seen the Demo typesetting a melody in 30 secs or a
> > Vivaldi sonata movement in 10 mins? (see denemo.org).
> > If not, then it really is time these got uploaded to youtube ...
> >

> A few years ago I got a midi-usb adapter DIRT CHEAP... I mean, like, three or
> five bucks. It has no brand name, but has worked like a charm, with Linux, at
> least (no drivers needed! Plug and roll !). Its a small, black two-inch
> ellipsoid device, with an LED, a five-line staff and semblance of a treble
> cleff
> inscribed on it, and some generic words.  I just googled and found photos of
> this thing online, and it's still available on ebay for about $5.50.  Its
> brand-name equivalents are a LOT pricier: 30 or 40 bucks
>
> And, again: the above is just an adapter — no keyboard included.  (FWIW, I've
> defiantly stayed away from keyboards with fewer than 66 keys... I've got one
> that's 70 something keys, i think. Probably unnecessary pursuit: the few times
> one needs very high or very low notes one can easily resort to transposition
> functions within denemo)

with my M-Audio Keystation you don't have to do that even, just hit the
octave+ key and play on down an octave. But it breaks the flow of
playing, so if it happened often I would get a longer keyboard. (I do
18th century music, as long as I look ahead I can set the range before I
start and never have to stop playing until the end).