classpathx-discuss

RE: [Classpathx-discuss] Re: servlet code

From: Anthony Green
Subject: RE: [Classpathx-discuss] Re: servlet code
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:49:38 -0700

Nic wrote:
> Per said:
> > I notice most of the code there is LGPL.
> > That certainly prevents them from being part
> > of libjava.
>
> Errr... why? I do not believe that can be true. If it is true then I
> think, frankly, it's mad.

libjava is essentially a runtime support library for GCJ.  The policy in GCC
is for all runtime libraries to use the GPL with an exception saying that
linking the library in with your program does not by itself cause your
program to be GPLd.  This is true for each of libgcc, libstdc++, and libgcj.
The point is that some people statically link libgcj with their application
(especially in embedded environments) where even the weaker LGPL linking
requirements are not accepted.

AG