classpathx-discuss

[Classpathx-discuss] Re: servlet code

From: Per Bothner
Subject: [Classpathx-discuss] Re: servlet code
Date: 15 Jun 2001 14:31:06 -0700

Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> writes:

> > I'm working on some servlet-related code, and I'm wondering what to
> > do.  First, we we want javax.servlet (and javax.jsp) in libjava?
> > I would say yes - it makes things easier, and we already have
> > javax.naming in there.
> To be honest I think that libjava is already very big.

Yes, that is a concern.  However, having the extensions packages
separate means having to resolve the library search rules.  I.e. does the
programmer need to specify explicit CLASSPATH (when compiling) or -l
(when linking) to get the extension library?  This is a somewhat
controversial issue.

> But since then Nick Ferrier set up the classpathx project and the code
> is now part of that project. <http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/classpathx/>
> I think the best approach would be to work together with the ClasspathX
> people and make sure that the included libraries can also be compiled with
> gcj to shared libraries.

I notice most of the code there is LGPL.  That certainly prevents them
from being part of libjava.
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://www.bothner.com/per/