classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Re: servlet code

From: David Brownell
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Re: servlet code
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:56:11 -0700

> > The Java/XML stuff isn't [LGPL]... or rather, it won't be when I
> > finish checking it in!  All GPL ...
>
> You mean plain GPL, or modified GPL (as in libgcj and classpath).

Currently "plain" GPL, but I'm willing to change if appropriate.

> > Though I tend to agree that we need an answer to that searchpath
> > issue -- not all libraries should be in "libjava".  A Debian proposal got
> > circulated a few months back; did that go anywhere?
>
> That was the controversy ...

I'm confident the issue will get resolved now that we're virtually
moments away from GCJ 3.0 shipment ... users won't let us escape
without a solution, at least not for very long!  :)

Yes, I basically like the idea of a "install jarfile" step that updates
the default namespace.  I'm not sure I care if classfiles stick around,
but invoking "gcj -o /usr/lib/gcj/foo.so /usr/share/gcj/foo.jar" (or
whatever) is the right kind of direction.  Though I seem to recall
some class loader issues that will eventually need to be addressed
(hierarchies of namespaces etc).

- Dave