Re: Graphics2D using OpenGL ?

From: Artur Biesiadowski
Subject: Re: Graphics2D using OpenGL ?
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 20:58:43 +0100

Anthony Green wrote:

It's a great idea.  Here is some evidence:

http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/agile2d/index.shtml

After looking a bit more into it, I think that it will be easier to just start our own implementation.

I'm going to look into it. No promises and certainly no timeline.

1) Has anybody here some opengl experience and would like to help with it ? I'm mainly thinking about stuff like opengl versus multiple rendering contextes(sp?), render-to-texture and most important, opengl integration with window system (win32 and X for now)

2) Does anybody _really_ understand java.awt.image ? I'm mainly talking about Raster stuff and color models (implementation, not just idea).

3) I'm really worried about gtk integration. I suppose that making swing to run on top of OpenGL Graphics2D Frame would be easier that really integrating everything inside heavyweight gtk components. I hope that somebody can prove me wrong :) Anyway, this is a sure way to get into pesky portability problems. I would like to get graphics running at least at windows and linux.

Artur