Graphics2D using OpenGL ?

From: Artur Biesiadowski
Subject: Graphics2D using OpenGL ?
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 13:23:17 +0100

I think that one of biggest problems is Graphics2D implementation. Doing it all in java would require very major undertaking - I do not see a chance of doing it by volunteers in any reasonable timeframe.

But maybe we can use OpenGL for graphics ? This gives us highly portable API, with both hardware acceleration where possible and software fallbacks (for example MesaGL) in other places. Most of hard work is already done inside library, we would only need to translate Graphics2D terms into opengl ones, take care about integration with AWT/buffer images and think seriously about race conditions :(

By no means I'm suggesting it is an easy one-day job. But I think it is possible, as opposed to pure-java implementation done from grounds up.

Do you think it is a good idea ? Anybody has enough experience with opengl/window systems to know how hard would the integration with native components would be ?

Artur