Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on Solaris 10 x86?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on Solaris 10 x86?
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 23:47:32 +0100

As Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> I just committed a bunch of changes that make avrdude compile and
> run successfully on my Solaris 10/SPARC setup.

> . Either bison or byacc are required to compile the code
> successfully.  Solaris' yacc causes strange compilation errors.  I
> didn't find a goog autoconf test for that (in particular given that
> byacc might be just named "yacc" on a target machine).

Note that all this is working now.

> . ecpp(7D) parport access for Solaris needs to be written.  No idea
> what kind of driver would be present under Solaris/x86.

I just committed changes that make avrdude work with ecpp(7D) and
parallel-port attached bit-bang programmers.  There has been a bit of
guess work as there are apparently more options available than
described in the man page (and I had to use some of the undocumented
features like "diag mode"), but the result looks promising.

The Solaris approach differs quite a bit from the Linux and FreeBSD
approach.  For that reason, I had to basically implement a SAL
(software abstraction layer).  The final result for Linux and FreeBSD
is not supposed to differ from the previous version, though the actual
implementation might be somewhat harder to read and understand now.

I don't have an idea about Solaris systems that don't use ecpp(7D).
My guess is that old Sbus-based machines won't be usable as they
probably have a bpp(7D) driver.