Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on Solaris 10 x86?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on Solaris 10 x86?
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 07:03:24 +0100

As Eric Weddington wrote:

> >. Either bison or byacc are required to compile the code
> >successfully.  Solaris' yacc causes strange compilation errors.  I
> >didn't find a goog autoconf test for that (in particular given that
> >byacc might be just named "yacc" on a target machine).

> Why not just simply say bison is a prerequisite, and [b]yacc is not
> supported? (And turning the bug into a feature. :-)

Because byacc is indeed supported.  There aren't any special things
needed, it's not quite clear why Solaris' yacc stumbles across it.
It's probably just a minor implementation issue.  I also had to change
the <str> start condition in lexer.l to <strng>, as the name of the
start condition eventually ends up in a #define str 1 statement, and
apparently at least some versions of flex floating around (like the
binary package I found for Solaris 10) then try to use an internal
function like

YY_BUFFER yy_something (char *str) {
   do something with str here
}

The result doesn't look so good if str had been defined to 1...  My
FreeBSD version of flex doesn't do it (they use some internal symbol
that starts with yy_).  In that case, the reason was pretty obvious
though, and the fix was simple.

Perhaps by looking a bit closer, I can also see the reason of the
problem with Solaris' yacc.