Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude release?

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude release?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:41:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Bob Paddock wrote:

> Well if the instructions to get it to build are to comment out the
> tests that prevent it from building, then what does
> the test really accomplish?  Then I'm still not testing
> with what the developers of the project used.
>
> My personal view is that you get better test coverage by
> testing on diverse platforms and configurations.

That's true in most cases, but there's a subtle difference here. Once
the release is made, anyone building from the release tarball will not
be using the autotools. At that point, testing with other versions of
autotools is a waste of time since the configure script and the
Makefile.in files have been built and are already in the tarball. So, we
need to test configuring/installing using the files that will end up in
the release tarball and thus need to all be using the same versions of
autotools.

In your case, you were not testing the build/install system, but the
result of changes in the source code. That was why I suggested
commenting out the test in the bootstrap script as a work-around.

> At any rate I'll figure out what I broke when I reinstalled
> cygwin and get back to you on the cygwin testing.
>
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:41:39 -0700 (PDT), Theodore A. Roth
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >> If I install 2.57 then it is going to break the stuff that wants 2.59.
> >> :-<
> >
> > All you need to do is comment out these lines in bootstrap:
> >
> >   if [ "$AUTOCONF_VER" != "2.57" ]
> >   then
> >           echo "You need to use autoconf version 2.57."
> >           echo "You are using `${AUTOCONF} --version | head -n 1`."
> >           exit 1
> >   fi
>
> > Yeah, it's a pain, but the it forces all the developers of a project to
> > use the same version of the tool and thus test the same generated code.
> > If we all use different versions, then the configure script and
> > Makefiles may be divergent.
> >
> > When I generate the release tarballs, I use the versions spec'd in the
> > bootstrap file.

---
Ted Roth
PGP Key ID: 0x18F846E9