Re: [avrdude-dev] The wonderful world of autoconf (was: Re: avrdude rele

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] The wonderful world of autoconf (was: Re: avrdude release?)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:23:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, E. Weddington wrote:

> On 15 Jul 2004 at 22:42, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
>
> > As Bob Paddock wrote:
> >
> > > On my linux system I use GENTOO with its port/slot system that is not
> > > a problem.  Alas doesn't help with the cygwin problem right now.
> >
> > Why not rename the executables there as well?
>
> Double-plus ugh. Apparently Cygwin has 2 different autoconf's: 2.59 and 2.13
> with some elaborate script that will automatically switch between the two.
> Here's the output of autoconf --version:

> autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
> Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

> Autoconf version 2.13
> This is autoconf-wrapper, which will hand off execution
> to one of the two real versions listed above, depending
> on the contents of configure.in/configure.ac.  Since the
> wrapper was called from within a directory in which those
> files are not found, this generic 'version' message is
> displayed.

Debian does the same stupid thing. It is trivial to defeat though. I
just build and install all my autotools into --prefix=$HOME/local with
the version numbers appended (configured with
--program-suffix=<what-ever version number>). Then just make sure that
$HOME/local/bin is in my $PATH before the system installed tools.

These tools are really easy to install.

---
Ted Roth
PGP Key ID: 0x18F846E9