[avrdude-dev] The wonderful world of autoconf (was: Re: avrdude release?

From: E. Weddington
Subject: [avrdude-dev] The wonderful world of autoconf (was: Re: avrdude release?)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:52:14 -0600

On 15 Jul 2004 at 22:42, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> As Bob Paddock wrote:
>
> > On my linux system I use GENTOO with its port/slot system that is not
> > a problem.  Alas doesn't help with the cygwin problem right now.
>
> Why not rename the executables there as well?

Double-plus ugh. Apparently Cygwin has 2 different autoconf's: 2.59 and 2.13
with some elaborate script that will automatically switch between the two.
Here's the output of autoconf --version:

autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

Autoconf version 2.13
This is autoconf-wrapper, which will hand off execution
to one of the two real versions listed above, depending
on the contents of configure.in/configure.ac.  Since the
wrapper was called from within a directory in which those
files are not found, this generic 'version' message is
displayed.