Re: [avr-gcc-list] Another coding question

From: Geoffrey Wossum
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Another coding question
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 08:55:21 -0500

On Thursday 05 August 2004 11:49 pm, Johan Nilsson wrote:

> Geoffrey Wossum is there any tcpip stack you recomend for Atmega 16 ? or
> should i go out and buy a Atmega 128 at once ? =)

If it was my project, I'd ask for a bigger part.  I'd take a look at Adam
Dunkels' uIP (http://www.sics.se/~adam/uip/).  With everything configured on
it, Adam says it consumes a little over 8 kB of code space on an AVR.  You
can turn features off for a smaller foot print.  So the IP stack would fit on
an ATmega16.  You'd probably be tight on RAM, though.  The MTU on Ethernet
frames is 1500 bytes, so one Ethernet frame would eat most of your RAM.

You might also be low on I/O with such a small device.  My design used a
CS8900 Ethernet chip.  We used the external memory bus on the ATmega128 to
interface to the CS8900.  I have "AVR Embedded Web Server" board from ATmel
that's also an ATmega128 + CS8900, interfaced the same way I think.  My
design and ATmel's have 32kB of SRAM on them.  If you take a look at the
Ethernut board, they use some RTL Ethernet chip, and also have additional
SRAM.

Of course, I guess you could do SLIP to get to another device.  Not much I/O
or additional RAM needed there...

---
Geoffrey Wossum
Software Engineer