Re: [avr-gcc-list] Another coding question

From: Laszlo
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Another coding question
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:23:13 -0700

I'm also a PC coder who's still somewhat new to AVR. I'm in the same boat you are. I really hate to say this, but MicroSoft may have the right idea when they say "throw hardware at it." Many of the AVR devices are set up to make it easy to add external SRAM. 64K RAM is a whole lot more room to manipulate data in than, say, 512 bytes. I haven't done his yet, so I'll just leave you with that heads-up. And if you're already adding external RAM and wishing you had megabytes worth of space, that's certainly a bit more complicated, but I'll bet you a donut it can be done. :)

Laszlo

Johan Nilsson wrote:
Thanks all for the answers on the avrgcc tutorial.
I done some stuff with avr-gcc serial communication, lcd display.... well basic stuff. What i dont fell comfortable with is the small amount of memory =), well im used to code on windows,linux,beos.... etc. Is there any good thinking, guidelines when it comes to small microchips ? I know that the program should be small and do not declare to many variables.

I would be greatfull for answer .... now i should do a digital thermometer.

I just have to say it again .. realy good mailinglist nice people and answers fast.

--
"That's the last time *I* answer to the name 'Sarah Conner'!" - me