[avr-chat] Illegal Instructions on ATmega128?

From: Matthias Ringwald
Subject: [avr-chat] Illegal Instructions on ATmega128?
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 19:24:26 +0200

Hi

I'd like to ask a (dummy-looking) question:
Why does an ATmega128 restart in the case of a software error?

A valid answer might be, that the execution of an "illegal instruction"
for example in the area behind the stored firmware which only contain
0xffff triggers a reset.

I could not find any information on this in the atmega128 data steet
or in the atmel risc instruction summary.

Another idea I got was, that the remaining area is just filled with NOPs
and by this, we easily reach either the Bootloader section or 0x0000.

So much for guess work, does anybody know what's going on?

thanks
matthias ringwald