Re: [avr-chat] ISP adapters

From: Rick Mann
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] ISP adapters
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:29:46 -0800

On Feb 12, 2006, at 1:21 PM, Chris Bare wrote:

The AVRISP is now the AVRISP mkII. However, as far as I know, it only
programs Atmel AVR 8-bit MCUs. It might be on the Gumstix site
because they offer the Robostix, which is based on an ATmega128 and
has a connector to mate with the Gumstix.

Right, I'm interested in the Robostix, not the Gumstix.

So does the AVRISP mkII work OK with avrdude under linux?
I see digikey has an ATAVRISP2 listed, but no price/not in stock. Do you know of
another vendor that sells online and has them in stock?

Probably works fine, but I use Mac OS X. The AVARISP only has USB, so there might be issues if you can't get USB to work. I think it works well, from what I've inferred.

You can program the Atmel AVR in C on a PC and download to it via
AVRISP or (much better for debugging) JTAGICE mkII (about $300).

What software works with the JTAGICE mkII under linux?

The avr-gcc toolchain, avr-gdb, avarice. I've never gotten avrdude to work, but I've been able to do all I need with avarice (note that it uses a different set of pins; no SPI).

Like I said, I'm just trying to get started and am overwhelmed by both the
number of choices and the incomplete information at the moment, so I
appreciate your help.

You want to get the toolchain and related tools. I used this page as a guide. Things I did differently: I put everything under /usr/local/ avr (using --prefix=/usr/local/avr for the ./configure steps), and I got the latest version of each package. I also configured gcc to build both C and C++ compilers. I didn't bother with uisp (it's been superseded by avrdude) The page is Mac OS X-specific, but I suspect you'll need to make very few changes to get it to work.

        http://www.ee.ucla.edu/~ram/misc.html

There's much more info to be found at

        http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/avr/

--