Re: [avr-chat] AVRISP mkII on Mac OSX

From: Ned Konz
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVRISP mkII on Mac OSX
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:37:42 -0800

On Feb 12, 2006, at 11:53 AM, Rick Mann wrote:

On Feb 12, 2006, at 11:08 AM, Chris Pontiga wrote:

I read somewhere that libusb is needed, so I tried that as well.  But
then while installing 0.1.11, I received the error:

darwin.c:70:2: error: #warning "libusb being compiled for 10.3 or later"
make[1]: *** [darwin.lo] Error 1
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

So, I'm not sure why the warnings are there, but you can either comment them out, or change the compile option to not treat warnings as errors. Doing that will allow you to build a libusb that works.

I believe some patches have come along that fix this, and they might be in CVS, so you might want to try the TOT.

However, for me, it never fully worked. It was able to locate the device and open a connection, but not actually get anywhere else. I was trying to use it with avarice and a JTAGICE mkII, and got nowhere.

I just built libusb from CVS.

I couldn't get it to work with avarice or avrdude.

neds_mini:/sw/lib ned$ avarice -d -d -j usb
AVaRICE version 2.4, Feb  3 2006 16:31:49

Defaulting JTAG bitrate to 1 MHz. Make sure that the target
frequency is at least 4 MHz or you will likely encounter failures
controlling the target.

Found JTAG ICE, serno: 00A0000033A6
USB bulk read error: usb_bulk_read: An error occured during read (see messages above)
JTAG config starting.
Attempting synchronisation at bitrate 115200

command[S, 1]: 53 45 20 20
JTAG ICE communication failed: Operation not supported on socket

neds_mini:/sw/lib ned$ avrdude -v -v -v -v -P usb -c jtag2 -p m128

avrdude: Version 5.0
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

         System wide configuration file is "/sw/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/ned/.avrduderc"
User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

         Using Port            : usb
         Using Programmer      : jtag2
avrdude: jtagmkII_open()
avrdude: usb_open(): Found JTAG ICE, serno: 00A0000033A6
Bus error

--
Ned Konz
address@hidden