serial-tests option and backwards compatibility

From: Brandon Black
Subject: serial-tests option and backwards compatibility
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 12:32:51 -0600

So my conundrum is this: in automake-1.13, the default switched from serial
testing to parallel testing.  The only way I can see to disable this is to
add "serial-tests" to my AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE.  However, my AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
also only requires version 1.11.6, which I'd like to continue supporting,
and these older versions of automake will barf on the invalid option
"serial-tests" (I also tried "no-parallel-tests", but that's also invalid).

There doesn't seem to be a way to set up my configure.ac such that my tests
will run in serial mode on both older and newer versions of automake
(1.11.6 -> 1.13) without causing an automake error (invalid option) in
1.11.6.  Am I missing some tricky method of working around this, or is it
just not possible?