Re: serial-tests option and backwards compatibility

From: Milan Broz
Subject: Re: serial-tests option and backwards compatibility
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:39:09 +0100

On 01/16/2013 12:12 PM, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
> On 01/15/2013 07:32 PM, Brandon Black wrote:
>> So my conundrum is this: in automake-1.13, the default switched from serial
>> testing to parallel testing.  The only way I can see to disable this is to
>> add "serial-tests" to my AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE.  However, my AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
>> also only requires version 1.11.6, which I'd like to continue supporting,
>> and these older versions of automake will barf on the invalid option
>> "serial-tests" (I also tried "no-parallel-tests", but that's also invalid).
>>
> Yes, the "serial-tests" option was unfortunately only introduced in
> Automake 1.12.
>
>> There doesn't seem to be a way to set up my configure.ac such that my tests
>> will run in serial mode on both older and newer versions of automake
>>
> Since the parallel test harness is already present in Automake 1.11, and
> it is in many many ways superior to the old serial driver, my suggestion
> would be switch to in your package.  But assuming you have good reasons
> not to do so ...
>
>> (1.11.6 -> 1.13) without causing an automake error (invalid option) in
>> 1.11.6.  Am I missing some tricky method of working around this, or is it
>> just not possible?
>>
> ... you might try a trick like this in your configure.ac:
>
>   AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(
>     1.11.1
>     dnl Automake version before 1.13 (when the serial-tests option was
>     dnl still the default) still defined the badly obsolete macro
>     dnl 'AM_PROG_INSTALL'.
>     m4_ifndef([AM_PROG_INSTALL], [serial-tests])
>   )

Hm. This doesn't seem to work for me (at least not on Fedora, seems like
it sees the macro still defined).

What's worse, as a side effect of the parallel tests harness default,
all test log output is now sent to log file instead to standard output.

I have computational intensive tests  which print some status to
show user progress - it is now gone with 1.13.x.
It prints only final status, keeping screen blank for minutes.
So I definitely need some working hack as above to support
old and new automake versions...

(I know future is to use TAP log protocol, but that's not an excuse
to break working package tests.)

Thanks,
Milan