Re: serial-tests option and backwards compatibility

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: serial-tests option and backwards compatibility
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 14:13:16 +0100

On 01/16/2013 04:50 PM, Brandon Black wrote:

> [SNIP]

> Given I don't really have the extra time to deal with that conversion right
> now, and the statement in the manual: "This harness is still somewhat
> experimental and may undergo changes in order to satisfy additional
> portability requirements"

This is no longer true (the harness has been used and tested extensively
now, and seems to work very well).  I should probably just remove that
sentence.

> which likely means my complex conversion will hit
> new snags with further changes to this evolving feature, I'd just rather
> not convert at this time.

See above.

Well, actually, the parallel harness might evolve in a backward-incompatibly
ways in the API it offers to writers of custom test drivers:

<http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#API-for-Custom-Test-Drivers>

But if you only use the built-in drivers, the interface for that, as
is supposed to remain stable (or be improved in backward-compatible ways
only).

> The reason for the 1.11.6 dependency, by the way, is that current
> Debian/Ubuntu releases are still on that version.  Bumping my requirement
> to 1.12 would mean anyone working with the code on those platforms would
> have to download their own local automake update and put it in /usr/local
> or whatever, which seems silly given I don't really need any 1.12+ features
> (well, aside from a working "serial-tests" option).

Another good reason for going with the "just run my custom test-runner
from the 'check-local' target" solution you described in your follow-up
mail :-)

Regards,
  Stefano