Re: autoreconf warning message: autom4te: cannotlockautom4te.cache/reque

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: autoreconf warning message: autom4te: cannotlockautom4te.cache/requests with mode 2: Invalid argument
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:47:01 -0600

David Byron wrote:
> <1:257> % /opt/perl/bin/perl -v
> -bash: /opt/perl/bin/perl: No such file or directory

Darn.

> Here's some info from config.log:
>
> uname -m = 9000/782
> uname -r = B.11.00
> uname -s = HP-UX
> uname -v = A

HP-UX did not start shipping /opt/perl/bin/perl until HP-UX 11.11.  So
your system is just a little too old.  On 11.11 that would be v5.6.1
and on 11.23 that would be v5.8.0.

> > I believe it is quite likely that you will not need to
> > build perl yourself at all.
>
> I'm building perl from source because autoconf says it wants perl 5.00503
> and I've got 5.00502.

I have successfully used 5.00502 for a long time.  I was in the same
position of only having 5.00502 available for various reasons and ran
into the same problem.

Try this scriptly patch.  This is from an rpm spec file %prep build
section for an HP-UX build of autoconf.  I don't know how much of this
still applies.  This was for the 2.59 version now quite dated.

  # We only have perl 5.005_02 available at the moment.  And that is
  # good enough so override this check.  Do it here instead of as a patch
  # so we can preserve timestamps because otherwise we need to bootstrap
  # the tools.
  for f in $(find . -type f -print0 \
    | xargs -r0 grep -l 5.005_03); do
    sed 's/5.005_03/5.005_02/' $f > $f.new
    chmod --reference $f $f.new
    touch --reference $f $f.new
    mv -f $f.new $f
  done

  # autoconf inadvertantly created a requirement on perl-5.5 by using
  # the single argument version of mkdir without a mode.  Add the mode
  # so that this runs on the older perl.  This is now fixed in the
  # CVS version of autoconf.
  sed 's/\(mkdir.*\)/\1, 0755/' bin/autoreconf.in >
  # bin/autoreconf.in.new
  chmod --reference bin/autoreconf.in bin/autoreconf.in.new
  touch --reference bin/autoreconf.in bin/autoreconf.in.new
  mv -f bin/autoreconf.in.new bin/autoreconf.in

Perhaps that will help.

> I'm also building perl from source to deal with compiling some of my
> own modules that have C code.  I originally set things up this way
> to handle problems on solaris where the compiler used to build perl
> was no longer available so compiling some modules failed.  I tried
> the PerlGcc module but didn't have any luck.

Yes.  You would need the same build environment for the modules as for
the original perl.  Good luck!

Bob