autoreconf warning message: autom4te: cannot lock autom4te.cache/request

From: David Byron
Subject: autoreconf warning message: autom4te: cannot lock autom4te.cache/requests with mode 2: Invalid argument
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 21:07:54 -0700

The subject says it all.  I'm getting a warning message running autoreconf
that I've never seen before.  Here's the full output:

$ autoreconf -fvi
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force -I m4
autom4te: cannot lock autom4te.cache/requests with mode 2: Invalid argument
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autom4te: cannot lock autom4te.cache/requests with mode 2: Invalid argument
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running:
/porters/ecloud/src/all_source/build/install/bin/autoconf --force
autom4te: cannot lock autom4te.cache/requests with mode 2: Invalid argument
autoreconf: running:
/porters/ecloud/src/all_source/build/install/bin/autoheader --force
autom4te: cannot lock autom4te.cache/requests with mode 2: Invalid argument
autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy --force-missing
autom4te: cannot lock autom4te.cache/requests with mode 2: Invalid argument
autoreconf: Leaving directory `.'

I'm not sure what information is relevant here.  I'm using m4 1.4.8,
autoconf 2.61 and automake 1.10 with the patch so .deps gets created
properly.  I built m4, autoconf, and automake from source using gcc 3.2.
I've run this many times on cygwin, linux and solaris with no trouble.  I
built m4, autoconf and automake on linux and solaris from source using gcc
3.4.x.  I didn't build the cygwin tools myself.

I see these warnings on an HP-UX 11 machine.  Do you need more details about
this machine?  More details about my configure.ac?

The configure script seems to get generated fine.  When I run it, the
expected things happen.  Unfortunately because I'm still porting things to
HP-UX it doesn't get all the way through...

Thanks much for any information you have on this.

-DB