RE: autoreconf warning message: autom4te: cannotlockautom4te.cache/reque

From: David Byron
Subject: RE: autoreconf warning message: autom4te: cannotlockautom4te.cache/requests with mode 2: Invalid argument
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:28:42 -0700

On Wednesday, March 14, 2007 @ 9:19p, Bob Proulx wrote:

> On your HP-UX machine, what does this say?
>
>   /opt/perl/bin/perl -v

<1:257> % /opt/perl/bin/perl -v
-bash: /opt/perl/bin/perl: No such file or directory
<1:258> % which perl
/usr/local/bin/perl
<1:260> % /usr/local/bin/perl -v

This is perl, version 5.005_02 built for PA-RISC1.1

Copyright 1987-1998, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or
the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5.0 source kit.

this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'.  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home Page.

> Depending upon your release of HP-UX the vendor perl there
> should be quite sufficient for autoconf and automake.  It
> works for me.  What is the value of /usr/bin/perl on your
> system?
>
>   ls -ld /usr/bin/perl

<1:262> % ls -ld /usr/bin/perl
ls: /usr/bin/perl: No such file or directory

> By default that will be a symlink to /opt/perl/bin/perl on
> new'ish HP-UX systems.

Here's some info from config.log:

uname -m = 9000/782
uname -r = B.11.00
uname -s = HP-UX
uname -v = A

configure:2929: checking host system type
configure:2944: result: hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.00

> I believe it is quite likely that you will not need to
> build perl yourself at all.

I'm building perl from source because autoconf says it wants perl 5.00503
and I've got 5.00502.  I'm also building perl from source to deal with
compiling some of my own modules that have C code.  I originally set things
up this way to handle problems on solaris where the compiler used to build
perl was no longer available so compiling some modules failed.  I tried the
PerlGcc module but didn't have any luck.

-DB