Re: please bring back program suffix for autoconf bin files

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: please bring back program suffix for autoconf bin files
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 17:52:49 -0800

Dan Kegel <address@hidden> writes:

> Oh, foo.  Yes, I could provide my own standard way to invoke
> autoconf-2.13.  Maybe I could even write an autoconf macro for it.

> I'm going away now.  I'm sorry I ever tried to improve things.

The problem you're encountering is that the Autoconf maintainers, even
more than not being interested in supporting use of 2.13, actively dislike
it and actively want it to disappear.  So making it easier for people to
locate and run Autoconf 2.13, or any other version than the current one,
is contrary to the current development goals.

I'm sympathetic; backward compatibility is a bitch.  I'm also annoyed;
tons of stuff still uses Autoconf 2.13 and will continue to do so for the
next ten years, if Autoconf 1.x is any indication.  I was only able to
finally retire my Autoconf 1.x installation two years ago.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>