Re: please bring back program suffix for autoconf bin files

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: Re: please bring back program suffix for autoconf bin files
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 17:36:40 -0800

Russ Allbery wrote:
I wasn't particularly arguing for this proposal, although I rather like it
and would like it even more if Autoconf would autodetect what version is
required and run the right one the way that the Debian wrapper script
does.

I rather like the autodetect approach, but:
1. various people on this list are violently opposed to it
2. there's little chance I can get Red Hat to start using it

Therefore I'm taking the path of least resistance, and
proposing the simple symbolic link approach.  Just
one little symbolic link, that's all I'm asking...
I really have thought hard about this.

Originally, I ported the Debian autoconf wrapper to Red Hat,
and had my scripts install that.  However,
after Red Hat 8.1 came out, and I found my wrapper had
broken because of the newer version numbers, I sat down
and thought real hard... and realized a single symbolic
link was all I really needed.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel